The eight levels of Unix knowledge
- Insecure with the concept of a terminal.
- Has yet to learn the basics of vi.
- Has not figured out how to get a directory listing.
- Knows that ls will produce a directory.
- Uses the editor but calls it vye.
- Has heard of C but never used it.
- Has had his first bad experience with rm.
- Is wondering how to read his mail.
- Uses vi and nroff, albeit inexpertly.
- Has heard of regular expressions but never seen one.
- Has figured out that "-" precedes options.
- Has attempted to write a C program and decided to stick with Pascal.
- Is wondering how to move a directory.
- Thinks that dbx is a brand of stereo component.
- Knows how to read his mail and is wondering how to read the news.
- Uses nroff with no trouble and is beginning to learn tbl and eqn.
- Uses grep to search for fixed strings.
- Has figured out that mv(1) will move directories.
- Has learned that help doesn't.
- Somebody has shown him how to write C programs.
- Once used sed to do some text substitution.
- Has seen dbx used but does not use it himself.
- Thinks that make is only for wimps.
- Uses sed when necessary.
- Uses macros in vi, and ex when necessary.
- Posts news at every possible opportunity.
- Write csh scripts occasionally.
- Write C programs using vi and compiles with cc.
- Has figured out what && and || are for.
- Thinks that human history started with !h.
- Uses sed and awk with comfort.
- Uses undocumented features of vi.
- Write C code with cat> and compiles with !cc.
- Uses adb because he doesn't trust source debuggers.
- Can answer questions about the user environment.
- Writes his own nroff macros.
- Write scripts for Bourne shell (/bin/sh).
- Knows how to install bug fixes.
- Uses m4 and lex with comfort.
- Writes assembly code with cat>.
- Uses adb on the kernel while system is loaded.
- Customizes utilities by patching the source.
- Reads device driver source with his breakfast.
- Can answer any unix question after a little thought.
- Uses make for anything that requires two or more distinct commands to achieve.
- Has learned how to breach security but no longer needs to try.
- Fixes bugs by patching the binaries.
- Writes his own troff macro packages.
- Writes device drivers with cat>.
- Can answer any question before you ask.
Mi ne verkis na unixguru, sed mi iom plibonigis ĝin!
3 Julio 1998 modifita.